Thursday, December 10, 2009

Something I've Noticed

As Christmas quickly approaches I find myself noticing a common thread of conversation between myself and other army wives who have husbands away this holiday season. Each wife has her own way of dealing with the holiday season with out her husband. Some have children and so have decided to celebrate Christmas as usual for the sake of the children, some who have no children or small children have chosen to "post pone" Christmas until their solider come home on R&R or for good. I have chosen to not Celebrate Christmas in my own home but to take my child to her grandparents houses to celebrate, she is young enough that she won't remember not having Christmas at home. There are others who sent gifts to their Soldiers and will not Celebrate Christmas much at all. With all the different ways to Celebrate without your very best friend there are two common themes for almost all these women, 1 they don't feel like celebrating at all, and 2 pressure from family and friends to celebrate. Ladies I have found that it is perfectly normal to not want to celebrate the holidays without your loved one, you are not alone! Family and friends it is perfectly normal for some one who's loved one is away to not want to celebrate! If they choose not to join in the festivities of the holidays or choose to post pone the party PLEASE respect their wishes, they may be a little depressed but it is not much to be concerned about. The holidays are all about being with friends and family but when your other half is far away it feels as if there is no reason to celebrate because the biggest part of your family is not there to share in the occasion. Please do not force these women to buy presents or come to a party when they do not wish to. Some of us just want to be alone. We send presents to our husbands and dream of them eating turkey, opening, gifts, singing songs, and goofing off with the other men around them, maybe even playing a muddy game of football in the sand, but we have no desire to carry on like nothing is wrong. A lot of us are forced to wear fake smiles and hand out presents and carry on like nothing is wrong so that our families and friends don't set up a "surprise" appointment with a shrink because they are concerned about our lack of holiday spirit. No this is not directed to my family, I want to go to NM and let Brynlee be with her family and I want to let Brynlee celebrate with my family in AZ, and I want to take a road trip after the holidays 1 because Brynlee will have a decent Christmas despite my lack of holiday spirit and 2 because it will help the time go by faster for me. Please though just remember, not just for me but all the families out there missing a soldier this Christmas, there may be a lack of holiday spirit for us this season, and it's perfectly normal and acceptable. If you are wondering what to do for us, just give us a hug, tell us you appreciate our and our husband's sacrifice this holiday season and enjoy your holidays. I know the biggest gift to me this year if I can't have my husband is to see that everyone else is enjoying this holiday season even if I am having a hard time with it this year. God Bless Our Soldiers.

0 comments: