Friday, September 28, 2012

Trip to the Hospital

WARNING: this will be TMI with graphic details, read at own risk!

So yesterday we took a trip to the hospital but I will start at the beginning....

Yesterday my dear friend Maria came over at 10am to help me clean my house knowing I was miscarrying and it ended up being such a blessing. She worked on my kitchen all morning (it is now immaculately clean btw) while I folded clothes. Around noon I fixed Brynlee and me some lunch and around the same time I started having some cramping at the opening of my vagina so I took some ibuprofen and they went away very quickly and I started to just sit more.
Around 1300 I was standing in the kitchen and felt a small gush of fluid and excused myself to the bathroom to change my pad. Within 30 mins I started to pass slightly bigger chunks than I had been since Saturday.
Around 1400 (I think) the missionaries showed up and I immediately had to excuse myself to the bathroom as I was passing large chunks of tissue. I once again cleaned up and went out, sat on the stairs, and visited with the missionaries. As I sat there I could feel myself passing more clots. Maria was still wonderfully busily cleaning my kitchen. At one point I felt a clot move up my front and out of the pad and I knew I had to get rid of those missionaries! As soon as I found an opening I told elder Smith and elder Winch that I thought I might have a mess to clean up and that they should go. They looked at my living room and said their good byes. I can only assume that they thought I was referring to cleaning up my home. I waited for them to leave and the moment I stood up. Clots and blood gushed into my padded underwear and down my pant legs. Thankfully prior to the missionaries showing up I had put brynlee down for a nap. I immediately grabbed my pant legs in hopes of keeping too much blood from reaching the carpet. I told Maria (who was around the corner of the kitchen and couldn't see me) that I had just had more tissue come out and I would be upstairs cleaning up. I hurried upstairs still holding my pant legs trying to contain the mess and hopped into the bathtub, and closed the curtain. As soon as I removed my pants I knew I would need help so I called to Maria for help. When she came up I told her I was passing a lot of large chunks and asked her to get an empty laundry basket from down stairs so I could put my bloody clothes in it so she wouldn't have to touch my blood and so my clothes wouldn't bloody the bathroom. As she did so I removed my shirt which had blood on the front and them my underwear. As I pulled my underwear down clots spilled down into the tub. I place my clothes in the basket and as Maria went to get me new ones I tried to collect the large clots and place them in the toilet so they wouldn't clog the drain. When Maria came back just after I had turned on the water to rinse off even more very large bloody clots spilled from me. I thought to myself "This seems like a lot but if the blood flow slows after this is out I should be fine." Once the clots stopped the blood flow did not, I had to use a towel between my legs. Till I could get dressed with a pad. As soon as I got down the stairs though I felt more clots fill the pad. Maria was ready to leave but was more than willing to stay till I knew weather I was going to need to go to the hospital or not.
I sat on the toilet realizing that the blood flow was not slowing at all. I had Maria bring me my phone and I called my dr. It went straight to the hospitals holding message which isn't normal it ment they where very busy! I hung up and called James at work and he told me to call the dr, so I did again and waited. When they finally answered I told them what was happening and they told me they would leave a message with triage and that was the end of the conversation. By this time I was already light headed and I knew that wasn't a good sign. I called James back and as I was on the phone with him I started to black out and told him I was going to if I didn't get on the floor right away. I frantically handed Maria the phone so she could talk to James and I started frantically wiping my self clean, there was a clot stuck so it took longer than I liked. I was able to get myself wiped enough to pull up and button my pants, and lay on the floor of the bathroom. A midst what felt like many phone calls it was determined that Maria would stay at the house with Brynlee while her husband who had blessedly just gotten off jury duty drove me to the closest ER where James had gotten off early from work so he could meet us. If we took to long brynlee was going to go to our neighbor's home till around 2000.

(amidst those phone calls on the ground Maria brought me a glass of water, and a wet towel for my head. Cowgirl curled up on my side and growled at Maria every time she handed me anything. Cowgirl new something wasn't right so she was trying to comfort me and protect me at the same time.)

Paul (Maria's husband) pulled into the hospital just as James called to find out where we were, he had already been inside and told the people there that I was on my way bleeding with a miscarriage....

*~Sorry it is now 4 days later and details are getting fuzzy but I'll try to continue (10/2/12)~*

 ...I stood up half out of Paul's car and felt more blood and clots gush from my body, thankfully not as bad as when i stood after talking to the missionaries but bad enough to go around my pad and through my pants. I grabbed my towel form the seat in the car and went inside with James holding me up. Paul parked his car and came to sit near me while James checked me into the ER. Within 5 mins they took me back to a room and had me change into a gown and out of my clothes. Paul headed home. When I took off my pants and underwear blood ran down my legs and began pooling at my heels and a gigantic clot lay on the pad inside my underwear. James found a secound bed pad and layed it on the bed so I could lay down on it after putting on my gown over just my sports bra.

They came in and took my blood pressure and they came in and out several times telling me what would happen, then it was just James and I. I remember feeling light headed and knowing that I would soon pass out, I told James 3-4 times I thought I might pass out and then I said "Yup I'm gonna pass out!" Then oddly I remember dreaming, about what now I can't remember, but when I came to I had the odd taste in my mouth indicating I had passed out and I could hear James just outside the door saying "she just blacked out and had a mini seizure". As I opened my eyes I noticed the rails on both sides of the bed where up and James was half way back in the room with the guy who was supposed to have run my IV 20 mins earlier right behind him. James and him started getting ready to run my Iv when the nurse rushed in and lay the bed back and put the foot end of the bed in the air and I immediately started heaving. Very little came out of my stomach but I started to get a bit emotional. The combined feelings of throwing up after blacking out where just too much. Then I started to shiver. They soon got an IV in and brought me warm blankets.

I was later told that when James saw my eyes roll back in my head he quickly grabbed the rail across from him and pulled it up and he kicked the one nearest him up with his foot just before running into the hall to grab the guy he did by the shoulder and spin him around to tell him that I had just blacked out and he was supposed to have run an IV on me 20 mins ago!

After that ordeal they came in and did a pelvic exam, supposedly measured the blood loss from just me sitting there in the bed, and gave me a suppository to help my uterus contract. James started keeping track of my blood pressure every 10 mins for 30-50 mins. In that time we also called Maria to let her know we would more than likely be a while and that she could take Brynlee to Catlin's any time, she informed us that Brynlee was already there and that she was making dinner for us if we where to get home that night and that if we didn't she would bring it over the next night.

James said the Dr. who was caring for me really didn't seem to think I was that bad till he read off my blood pressures to her and she immediately decided that I needed to be moved to Pres Main by ambulance. Then every thing went crazy again. The man who put in my first IV came in and took down all my blood pressure history then tried to run a secound line in my right arm (the original line was in my left) he stuck me 3 times and infiltrated every time, another girl came in and tried twice and did the same to both, she was prepping for a third try when a third man came in went to my left are and got a good line in that side. By this time the EMTs where waiting out side the door to transport me. All those people in there including my hubby transferred me to the gurney, I was buckled and rolled out of the room. James went the other way with all my things so he could follow in his jeep. I remember the EMTs asking where my chart was then one pointed to the counter and and said it's over there. We stopped briefly at the counter but I didn't see anything pass hands and as they started to move me again one said "we'll come back in and get it." We went out to the ambulance and once in they took my vitals and put me on oxygen. My blood pressure when taken in the ambulance was 95/50 when I had come in it was 145/95 but I was told my heart rate was good. Once I was set one of the 2 men got out of the back and started driving. On the way I was telling the EMT in back with me that if I had been on the other side of town my friend Lauren, who is also and EMT, probably would have transported me. When we arrived and the doors opened I saw Lauren! I looked at her and said "Hey that's my Lauren!" I watched her get closer and tried to yell "Hey Lauren" but was obviously too quiet because the EMT still in the ambulance with me turned and said "You know her?" I said "ya that's the Lauren I was telling you about!" He jumped out and tried to get her attention but she didn't realize it was me till I was out of the vehicle. She followed me inside and talked to me till they got me to a room. Then I was once again swarmed by medical staff. Asking all the same questions I had been asked at the last hospital and the ambulance lol. Once the medical staff started to leave the room Lauren had to go to but James had arrived and Lauren said she would check on me next time she came in. a man came in and poked my right hand for a 6th time to get blood for testing.

I found out later the Dr who got me when I came in at main was furious that the only records I came in with was my Rh and blood type. So everything had to try to be redone but my veins seemed tapped.

Anyway, he got mostly what he needed for blood tests and they started prepping me to go to the OR for and emergency D&C. Then I was told that another woman with worse vitals than mine needed to be seen and that I wouldn't get up to the OR for probably another hour. Two units of blood where ordered for me just in case but I was told I would not need them unless my heart rate spiked. My blood pressure was borderline for needing it but my heart rate was steady. A really wonderful nurse came in and (I can't remember if I told her or if she asked) offered to run a catheter since my bladder was full and I would need one any way for surgery. After getting the pack so she could run it she kindly cleaned me up. Between my legs there was still blood every where, James had even put a towel down there to help keep the pool from coming up my front in hopes of keeping the mess somewhat contained to my back and lower body, there was dried blood from crotch to heel on both legs and I was laying in a pool of clots and blood. James and the nurse kindly got rid of the pool and the nurse used wipes to clear away the wet and some of the dry blood. I felt helpless and foolish to have a woman wiping my butt for me but was so thankful to be some what clean and out of the pool of blood. By this time also the blood loss was beginning to slow. That nurse tried to run the catheter after I was cleaned up but was unsuccessful so she left to get another kit and a nurse who was supposedly better at it. As the secound woman prepared to put in the catheter men started knocking on the door saying they needed to prep me to move to the OR now! In the rush they where unsuccessful and I was quickly moved upstairs.

In the OR James was allowed to stay with me till I went in for surgery, I swear we where there forever. While there waiting to be checked into the busy OR (I guess amongst the scheduled surgeries there where several emergency surgeries going on/being prepped for, it was a VERY busy day for medical staff all over Abq) James called his Dad to make sure Brynlee was with them. We where assured that she had eaten dinner at the neighbors and that she had gone clothes shopping with Mamaw and was now in the tubby getting ready for bed.

Brief side note: found out at some point that when Maria left Brynlee with Catlin that Cowgirl was NOT happy with Maria so Maria exited out the front door which Catlin locked then Catlin exited out the back door and back gate leaving cowgirl out back. I am so very thankful to these amazing women for stepping in to take care of my daughter in this sudden emergency and so thankful for the blessings on this day. Any way that is the reason Brynlee went clothes shopping with Mamaw (she had none from the house) and I am sure cowgirl was very confused as to why people where taking Brynlee away after mommy was laying on the floor with something obviously not right going on.

Back to the hospital: When I had first arrived in the OR a nurse began to check me in and before walking away she asked if I needed any thing I told her "yes a catheter please, they tried to run 2 down stairs and where unsuccessful." she said okay and walked away. I kept telling James how badly I needed to pee and that it was becoming painful to hold it, but here was nothing he could do. So I started staring at the nurse going back and forth between mentally begging and chewing her out for not giving me the catheter yet. After what felt like an eternity she came over and asked if I wanted my catheter now and i replied with an infatic "YEEES, PLEEEEASE". She told me I had that look on my face of "give me my catheter now B@$&%!" I told her that summed it up nicely and laughed. She ran it so fast I wondered why the others 2 women had had so much trouble! She came back several more times to finish checking me in in between phone calls, but the first time she passed me after putting in my catheter I looked at her and smiled I felt a lot better and she looked back at me and laughed and looked at James and said something about me smiling. Soon after my nurse for the surgery came to introduce herself, and was told 2 units of blood where ready for me if they needed it in surgery, then the anesthesiologist introduced himself and asked the questions he needed to know to get everything right. soon after that they came back and gave me the anesthesia and I said my goodbyes to James and told him to call my mother and that I loved him. I don't remember anything else till I woke up in recovery.

When I woke up my mouth was dry but thankfully my throat was not hurt by the breathing tube I was told I would have in surgery. I immediately asked for ice chips and they already had some on hand. My next question was if my husband was there and if he would be allowed back, the nurse told me he would not be allowed back to where I was so I asked her if I would be moved to a place he could be with me, I was told yes. The nurse then went asking other nurses if the paper work she had on me was everything because she couldn't figure out if I was supposed to be discharged or kept. She asked a few other women and I heard one woman say that's all that's there and I think it says she is supposed to go. They looked through the papers again and made a phone call, and decided I was supposed to be discharged. Just after they figured out that James walked in still in scrubs and shook the dept managers hand before coming to my bed side, no one told him to leave. (I love having a hubby who works there when things like this happen.) Once again I was cold and they brought me more warm blankets. I believe that happened more often in this story than is actually written. after about 45-50 mins I was allowed to change into the pajamas James had brought me...

(While in surgery James went home, got me pjs, let the dog out to pee then back in the house and switched jeeps so I wouldn't have to ride home in his jeep with no doors or windows in the cold after my ordeal)

... and when I sat up I got nauseous. I had been asked if I was nauseous when I woke up but said no because I wasn't. When I told the nurse I was she got a bit frantic because the anti-nashia meds she had for me had to be injected through my IV but she had already removed it. So she searched the room for a pill form which James broke in half and gave to me. then I was transferred to a wheel chair and rolled to the back doors where James met me with a warm jeep to climb into.

We made it home, Brynlee stayed that night at Mamaw and Bops, James made me steamed Broccoli and rice for dinner because I was very hungry. then we tried to sleep but because they had forced 8 bags of fluids through me through out the whole ordeal I now had to pee every hour or so! The first time I got up to pee I got very light headed even though I went kind of slow, James woke up and walked me to the bathroom and back every time. The secound time I got to the toilet and peed, got light headed but had to go #2, turns out I was a bit constipated and trying to go #2 made my blood pressure take a sudden dip and just after informing James I was going to black out, I did. I came to with James calling my name but after passing out I felt much better... kind of like when you need to throw up and you try to stop because you don't want to but after you finally you do you feel better?... yeah it felt like that only I didn't need to throw up I needed to pass out! I slept most of that night (between potty trips) and James took Friday off work.... I'll tell you about recovery another day in another post, this one is already too long and it is also 11:30pm and it has been a near exhausting day. Time to crawl in bed and rest up so I can hopefully be even more functional tomorrow than I am today!

0 comments: