Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Official Dislike....

I officially dislike visiting the Dr. I had an ultrasound/genetic counseling appointment today. They scheduled me for a 9am visit with the Genetic consular and then a 10 am appointment with the Ultrasound machine. Last time I got an ultrasound they found a "bright spot" on her heart. They assured me this was nothing to worry about and that it was a fairly common finding. It in no way affects the heart or it's function but occasionally found with other signs is an indicator of Down syndrome. So they scheduled me for another one today so that we could take a closer look at it.
Well I woke up with James around 6 and went back to sleep till about 6:30 when James left. I wanted to go back to sleep but knew that if I did I would over sleep so after laying in bed trying not to sleep for about 30 mins I got up, had breakfast, took the dog to Day Care, stopped at the bank (that was still closed), went down to the Dr.'s office/hospital/My hubby's office and visited my husband for a short time then went up to my appointment. I got there about 9:45am, filled out my paper and talked to another lady but wasn't waiting long. I thought this would be an in and out kind deal. BOY WAS I WRONG! I was quickly seen by the genetic counselor, that only took about 30 mins and was actually pleasant. Then I waited..... Then they decided that while I was waiting they would weigh me and take my blood pressure..... then I waited... and waited. Getting more and more tiered. By the time I was taken back for the ultrasound I was ready for a nap. She told me that she was going to take new measurements and then the Dr. would come look at the heart. Well Her ultrasound and "taking measurements" took good hour. when she was done she had me wipe off all the gel and then had me wait...... so I lay on the chair all layed back, in the dark, with only the picture on the screen to look at which, well wasn't all that interesting. So I watched the clock.... Big Mistake! I lay there and got sleepier and sleepier and colder and colder and hungrier and hungrier! 30 minutes passed with 2 visits from the nurse to say "I promise we haven't forgotten you. He will be here soon!" Just over 30 mins went by when the Dr. FINALLY came in. By this time I am cold, hungry, and am ready to fall asleep right there. I am also not extremely pleased because unlike my last ultrasound it was really difficult to tell what I was looking at on the screen and very little was explained. I didn't even get to find out how much she has grown in the last two weeks. Then again I didn't ask because I was trying to figure out if this "bright spot" was something I needed to worry about despite the Dr.s insistence that it was nothing. I mean I was back for a second ultrasound purely because of it. Now that he is Finally here, he looked at all the pictures the other gal had taken and all the measurements. This took him all of 30 seconds. He confirmed that I did not, at this time, wish to have an amniocenteses. Reconfirmed that this "bright spot" (that he seemed to have trouble actually locating) was nothing to worry about but did schedule me for another appointment in April to make sure that the baby was growing just fine and that there is no cause to worry any further about this "bright spot". I was with this Dr. for all of maybe 30 mins at the absolute most. In all my Appointment from arrival to departure took approx. 3 hours and most of that was spent waiting..... In the end I found out very little useful information from my extra long, boring appointment today and on top of that I had to work from 1:30-7pm so needless to say... I'm ready for bed!

0 comments: