Saturday, December 3, 2011

Surgery and New Ornaments

So Brynlee has taken to liking dress up and so it has become easier to leave her clean clothes in a basket on the floor in her room so she isn't climbing on her dresser to get clothes out. This is the outfit she chose the other day while she was supposed to be taking her nap, before we took James in for surgery.

Yes that is a spring time shirt, no diaper, butterfly stockings and 1 black rubber muck boot! Speaking of surgery though... Tuesday morning Brynlee stayed home with James while I went to work. After work I had an eye appointment. My thoughts where confirmed when I found out I do need new glasses with a stronger prescription than my old ones. Though the Dr said I only had to wear them as often as I wanted the sharper vision, so I am not that bad, but now I need to find a place that sells nice yet in expensive glasses.
After Brynlee's nap we redressed her and took her to her Mamaw and Bop's house, so we wouldn't have to worry about her with everything else going on. Then James and I went to the hospital and got him all checked in. This is somewhere around where my night mare began. (Keep in mind I was PMSing...) I was feeling very nervous about James' surgery. I knew it was routine and he would be fine, I had been told his Dr was one of the best at this but I guess I am just a worrier. They took James back after about 10 mins and got him prepped for surgery while I was in the waiting room trying to not watch the clock but knowing I had to go to work soon. I finally texted James in frustration about the Dr not coming to get me so I could see him and talk to the nurses before I had to go. The nurse in the waiting room didn't make things any better when she informed me that she was about to leave and I needed to give my phone numbers to the nurses inside with James before I left so they could call me when he got out of surgery. Finlay with about 5 mins before I absolutely had to walk out the nurse came and got me. I was able to give James a hug and a kiss, take his jacket and go. I was so mad and upset. I did NOT want to leave him with still an hour to go before he went under, and only after seeing him in that gown in that hospital bed for a min or two. It was the hardest thing I have ever done to walk away from him that night. I stopped at the nurses stand to give them my number, they took it but also informed me that there was about to be a shift change and that none of the nurses there at that moment where going to be there when he got out of surgery, this doubled my anxiety at leaving. I also checked on his surgery times. he was to go in at 4pm and have a 90 min surgery but they assured me like I had heard from James before that this Dr was very good at this and was usually in and out in 45 mins.
So I left and I had James phone because he didn't want it left at the hospital while he was under, so it wasn't like I could call him and check in. I picked up the kids at 3:15pm and took them home. Then I called their mother to let her know what was going on with James. I let her know he was going under at 4 and scheduled to be under till 5:30 (which is the time she usually gets home) BUT that his Dr was usually in and out in 45 mins with meant he'd be out between 4:45 and 5pm. I will be honest I was desperately hoping she would be able to come home half an hour early so I could be there when he came out or at the very least when he woke up. She said she would look at her PTO and call me back. If she could get off 30 mins early that would be 4:30 and she'd be home at 5. I was later told that James went in at almost exactly 4pm at 3:59 I said a prayer for him that all would go well. At 4:20 The mother called me back and told me there was no way she could come home 30 mins early (I later found out that she was already over on her PTO) I was devastated, But she assured me that she would leave as soon as her time was up and that she would speed home (now remeber this next part for later!) I told her not to speed to take her time it would be okay and that I didn't want her to get pulled over or in an accident or anything. After hanging up I started to pace the floor, purse in hand, and jacket on, just trying not to cry. I wanted to be there so badly. (Again at this point I remind you PMS) At 5:15 I called the recovery room to see if James had gotten out of surgery yet, they said no he was still in. I convinced my self that this was okay, he was after all scheduled for 90 mins and that time line was still 15 mins away. At 5:20 I was hardly able to breath I was about to go outside and wait in the cold air where I might breath better while I waited and the phone rang..... Duh duh duh!.... The children's mother informed me that she was right around the corner and had gotten in an accident!!!!!!! Well GEE NOW what do I do!?!?! This was my first thought after being assured she was okay and that it was just a fender bender. Then she proceeded to tell me that she had to go talk to the cops and wait to find out if the baby in the car she hit was okay. She told me I could bring the kids to her if I wanted. So I got the kids up and in the car but went the wrong way and when I asked her which intersection my brain said it was the way I was going. I went all the way to the end before realizing I was going the wrong way... I blame the stress. As I turned around to head back the other way the mother texted me and told me the police where letting her go home. I went as fast and as safety as I could back to their house. I dropped the kids off while I was on the phone with their mom and drove off trying not to speed too badly. At this point it is about 5:45 and I still have not heard from the recovery room that James was out and had there for convinced myself that something had gone wrong in surgery. I drove along cursing at people who decidedly could not drive and pedestrians crossing against traffic. I even convinced myself that if I hit one of those idiots I would call 911 inform them I had hit a pedestrian and where and that if they wanted to find me I would be at the hospital with my husband. I got to a light with more people who decidedly could not drive and I had gotten stopped by it twice already and I decided to call recovery again. This time I was informed that he was out and had gotten out about 5 mins after I had called the last time at 5:20, They had just not bothered to call. so now I wasn't as much worried as mad at having to worry needlessly for so long. When I finally got to the hospital I walked as fast as I could, rode the elevator up to the sixth floor and went to the waiting room again. I called recovery to tell them I was there and they said okay we'll let you in. I stood there a while not knowing what was taking them so long to get to where I was. Then I heard doors click like they where closing and I ran around the corner and found the right place. I got in the doors just before they closed but didn't know where to go from there, there was no one there to show me where to go. Just as some one at the desk picked up the phone a nurse came around the corner to guide me back. James had waken up about 10-20 mins before I got there but was really just becoming coherent when I got there. Relief swept over me as I sat by his bed side, holding his hand and listening to him tell me about what he remembered before going under and after coming to. I was given all the instructions and paper work while we talked with the nurses and made a few phone calls. James was released from the hospital just after 9pm and I took him home. I dropped off his prescription at Walgreen's, went and got Brynlee, picked up his meds and went back home. Brynlee cuddled with James for a few mins before I put her to bed and got James comfortable down stairs on the couch. James slept on the couch Wednesday night too. Thursday we got him upstairs for a shower and then again for bed. Friday he also came upstairs to sleep. While he is still in quite a bit of pain he is doing well. When he gets up, sits down, or walks he seems to be getting faster and his gait smoother, the stairs are still a challenge but he went up and down them again for a shower today and I assume he'll be back up for bed again tonight. Slow but steady progress. Also now that I know it's PMS I can control my mood a little better.

Thursday night I put Brynlee to bed early, because she had skipped her nap that day, and went to GNO (Girl's Night Out). We did an ornament exchange. This month was the first I have been able to attend and it also happened to be their ward's RS meeting. We each made 12 ornaments to exchange with 12 other people. This is the one I made. I got the idea from one my mom made a few years back for all her young women.

These are the ones I got in exchange.

Though I liked them all these along with the Santa moon are some of my favorites.



They had a few crafts you could do little reindeer and a snowman. This is my snow man it was easy and so cute!

And then this morning we woke up to a dusting of snow and tonight more fell. It's not much but Brynlee really liked to play out back with it and I liked to look at it. Hopefully we will get more and hopefully it will be a very wet winter instead of the dry one that is forecast...

0 comments: